Choose your FlexSkin™ Breast Shield Size in 2 Easy Steps
Step 1: Assemble your Nipple Ruler
To help you with your sizing, we’ve created a ruler you can use at home!
- Print out the LoveAmme Nipple Ruler at 100% scale. Download Nipple Ruler
- Cut along the dashed lines and fold along the dotted lines
- Assemble ruler as shown below.
Step 2: Find your Size
- Measure the diameter of your nipple as shown above. Do not pump before measuring.
- If you are in your 3rd trimester: Select a breast shield size 3-4mm larger than this measurement.
OR if you are post-partum: Select a breast shield size 2mm larger than this measurement.
Breast Shield Sizing Chart
|Breast Shield Size||19mm|
|Breast Shield Size||22mm|
|Breast Shield Size||24mm|
|Breast Shield Size||27mm|
|Breast Shield Size||30mm|
Checking for Fit
Your nipple rubs along the side of the shield tunnel. This will lead to painful redness from the friction (ouchie!)
Your nipple should be centered in the tunnel and is able to move freely during expression. Milk can be expressed freely.
Practically your whole areola is pulled into the shield tunnel. This may result in a poor transfer of milk or incomplete emptying of breasts.
- You may need a different size for each breast so measure both sides!
- Your breast shield size will differ depending on your skin elasticity.
- Your shield size could also change over your breast pumping journey with the variation in your milk supply
- LoveAmme’s breast shields are sold singly. If you are buying our breast shields pre-partum from a retailer with an extended exchange policy, you may want to consider only testing one side to confirm if you have selected the right size, and the unopened one would still be valid for exchange.
- Hard breast shields made of PP is more likely to result in leakages while pumping as it doesn’t conform to your breast contours.